It’s that time of year again when the sun starts to shine, temperatures rise and those summer holidays are fast approaching. If you’re trying to get trim this summer then be sure to have a healthy breakfast each morning to kick start your day.
Research shows that regular breakfast eaters not only tend to be leaner but dieters are more successful at losing weight and keeping it off! As such, we’ve put together our 7 favorite bikini breakfasts to keep you on track.
1. Feel the heat with avocado & chilli flakes on rye breadServes 1
Give your morning some zing, with this fresh, spicy summer breakfast! Packed with healthy fats, avocados taste delicious mashed and served on rye bread. Add some chilli flakes to kick-start your metabolism and top with poached egg for an extra protein fix!
- 2 medium avocados
- 2 slices of Rye bread or
- Wholemeal bread
- 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon of chilli flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Herbs to garnish (optional)
- Place Rye bread into toaster.
- Halve the avocados, remove the stone and scoop out flesh into a bowl.
- Mash roughly with the back of a fork or spoon.
- Add squeeze of lime and chilli flakes to desired taste.
- Season with salt and pepper.
2. Catch some rays with our Sunshine PorridgeServes 2
Porridge is more than just a great winter warmer – try this recipe, with fresh citrus fruits for added zest! Oats help you feel fuller for longer, keeping those hunger pangs at bay – you’ll be slipping into that bikini in no time!
• 80g of Mornflake Superfast Oats
• 285ml unsweetened orange juice
• 285ml water
• 1 grapefruit
1. Place the oats in a saucepan.
2. Add the orange juice and water and stir thoroughly.
3. Heat the saucepan over a high heat until the oats start to boil.
4. Reduce the heat to a simmer.
5. Stirring constantly, cook for a further 1-2 mins or until the oats reach a nice thick porridge consistency.
6. Pour the porridge into bowls.
7. Cut the grapefruit in half, scoop out the fruit, separate the segments and arrange on top of the Porridge for some added sunshine!
8. Serve hot and enjoy.
3. Get slinky with our Oat Summer SmoothieServes 1
A perfect breakfast on-the-go, that can be whizzed up in minutes. Choose any combination of berries you like! Oats add dietary fibre and wholegrain goodness, whilst the yogurt promotes healthy bacteria for a happy gut. Sunny smiles all round!
- 1 handful of blueberries (fresh / frozen)
- 1 handful of raspberries
- 1 banana
- 50g Superfast Oats
- 150g live yogurt
- 200ml almond/soya/coconut milk
- 4 ice cubes
Add a spoonful of your favourite protein powder for that extra protein boost.
4. It’s always sunny with our Scrambled EggsServes 1
Eggs are a great way to stock up on protein and essential amino acids while you’re watching your waistline! Scrambling is a quick and healthy way to whip them into an express breakfast– throw in some delicious smoked salmon for added summer flavour!
- 2 eggs
- Sea salt & black pepper
- ½ teaspoon butter
- 1 large handful spinach
- 1 spring onion finely sliced
- Sprinkle of cayenne pepper
- Break the eggs into a bowl, season with salt and pepper and whisk (salt helps to break down the yolk).
- Melt the butter in a non-stick saucepan and add the whisked eggs. Stir constantly until they are scrambled to your liking. Just before they are ready stir in the spinach so it wilts slightly.
- Serve the eggs onto a plate, scatter with spring onions and a sprinkling of cayenne pepper.
5. Our Oaty Breakfast Muffins make staying trim a treat!Makes 12
These muffins are the perfect post-workout energy boost and make a delicious change from cereal for breakfast! This recipe uses our wonderful Mornflake Oatbran - rich in protein and high in beta glucans, which have been shown to help lower cholesterol - not just delicious, but healthy for your heart!*
- 75g Mornflake Toasted Oatbran
- 70g Mornflake Oatbran
- 350g low fat natural yoghurt
- 270g plain wholemeal flour
- 50g dark unrefined sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of sea salt
- 150ml semi skimmed milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 free range egg
- 150g frozen or fresh berries
- Into a large mixing bowl place the toasted oatbran, oatbran and yoghurt.
- Mix thoroughly and leave to stand for 10 mins.
- Then sift in the wholemeal flour.
- Stir in the sugar, baking powder, sea salt and mix thoroughly.
- Pour the milk into a measuring jug.
- Add the vanilla and egg to the jug and combine.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients in the bowl and stir.
- Finally add the frozen or fresh berries and gently combine.
- Spoon the mix into greased muffin trays, pressing down firmly to ensure each cup is filled.
- Place the trays in an oven pre-heated to 190c and cook for 17-20mins, turning half way through.
- Remove muffins from the oven and allow to cool in their trays for 5 mins.
- Then gently remove the muffins from their trays and place on a cooling rack for 10 mins.
- Garnish with a little icing sugar and serve with tea.
*As part of a varied and balanced diet and a healthy lifestyle, oat beta glucans have been shown to help lower blood cholesterol. Blood cholesterol lowering may reduce the risk of coronary heart disease.
6. Flip some sunshine onto your plate with our Banana Oat PancakesServes 2
Dairy and wheat free, these golden, fluffy pancakes are nutritious, healthy and naturally sweet - perfect for chilled out Sunday mornings – who said getting trim had to be all hard work?
- 70g Superfast Oats / Organic Oats
- 2 bananas mashed (approx. 9.5 oz)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (or butter)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of honey or maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- fresh fruit of your choice, to serve
- First whizz up the oats in a food processor until well ground – this is now oat flour! Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together the mashed bananas, coconut oil (or butter), lemon juice and honey (or maple syrup).
- Beat in the eggs.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the oat flour, baking soda, salt and spices.
- Form a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. With a big spoon, stir just until the dry ingredients are thoroughly moistened. Do not overmix!
- Let the batter sit for 10 minutes. You may want to thin out the batter a bit with a touch of milk or water.
- Heat a heavy cast iron pan or griddle over medium-low heat. Lightly oil the surface with coconut oil, butter or cooking spray.
- Once the surface of the pan is hot enough that a drop of water sizzles on it, pour ¼ cup of batter onto the pan. Let the pancake cook for about 3 minutes, until bubbles begin to form around the edges of 9. Once the underside of the pancake is lightly golden, flip it with a spatula and cook for another 90 seconds or so, until golden brown on both sides. You may need to adjust the heat up or down at this point.
- Serve the pancakes immediately or keep warm in a 100°C oven.
7. Our Bircher Breakfast will help you get bikini beautiful Bircher MuesliServes 4
A delicious and simple way towards your five-a-day, this breakfast can be made in advance and keeps for two days in the fridge, so perfect for keeping on track on those hectic mid-week mornings.
- 50g carrot - coarsely grated
- 50g apple - coarsely grated
- 50g butternut squash - peeled and coarsely grated
- 150g Mornflake Jumbo Oats
- 400ml freshly squeezed orange juice
- 40g blueberries
- Place the carrot, apple, butternut squash and oats into a bowl and mix.
- Pour over the orange juice, cover and leave in the fridge overnight for the oats to absorb the liquid.
- Spoon the blueberries through to serve.
- Keeps for two days in the fridge.
For a creamier consistency and for added probiotics try adding some greek style yogurt to the mix.